The following terms and conditions form the basis of your contract with Fauna Ventures LLC (“Fauna Ventures,” “we”, “us” and “our”). Please read these terms carefully as they set out our respective rights and obligations. By submitting your booking form, you acknowledge that you have read these terms and conditions and agree to them. All references in these booking conditions to “trip”, “tour,” “booking”, “reservation,” “contract” or “arrangements” mean your trip arrangements. References to “departure” mean the start date of these arrangements.
Scope of Services
We offer butterfly tours in various locations throughout the year, including Texas, Honduras, and Colombia. Our mission is to help understand the world’s biodiversity and help protect these habitats.
A completed and signed booking application (“Application”) must be received by Fauna Ventures at least 29 days prior to departure, unless Fauna Ventures announces a shorter time. The Application must be submitted to us using our website at https://www.faunaventures.com. If you are booking as a group, only one Application is required for the party. You must be eighteen (18) years of age or older to apply. By applying, you agree to serve as the point of contact for your party and you also agree to be responsible for all payments due to Fauna Ventures (the “Responsible Party”). If any member of your party is under the age of eighteen (18), the signature of a parent or guardian will be required.
Upon approval of your Application, we will send to the Responsible Party a booking confirmation and an invoice for any outstanding payments due. Please review all details in the booking confirmation thoroughly, and contact us as soon as possible if any information is incorrect or omitted. All applications are subject to availability and to our approval of the application If your application is not approved, you will receive a refund for any monies paid in advance.
Pricing and Payments
Accommodations, breakfast and lunch, in-country transportation, and butterfly tour guide prices are included in the cost of the trip. If we visit any parks, those fees are included. Soft drinks and water are included on some tours. Dinner may be included on some tours. Please be sure to read all details about your chosen tour before booking to ensure you understand what is included in the package. Airfare, alcoholic beverages, and personal items such as souvenirs are not included in any of our tours.
At the time of booking, we require a Ten Percent (10%) nonrefundable deposit to secure your reservation. The remaining balance of the package price must be paid at least ninety (90) days prior to your departure date. If a booking is made within ninety (90) days of the departure date, you will be required to pay the full package price at the time of booking. If we do not receive complete payment by the due date, we reserve the right to cancel your booking and retain your deposit.
We reserve the right to make changes and corrections to any errors in advertised costs at any time before your booking is confirmed. We will advise you of errors and corrections that we are aware of at the time of booking.
Traveler Cancellation Policy
The cancellation policies outlined below take into consideration the costs we incur in advance of departure. Cancellation requires a written notice from the Responsible Party. The date of cancellation will be the date on which we receive notice. The following Cancellation Fees will be collected from your deposit:
|Cancellation Date||Cancellation Fee|
|More than 90 days before departure||No cancellation fee, but deposit forfeited|
|71-90 days before departure||25% of package price|
|45-70 days before departure||50% of package price|
|30-45 days before departure||75% of package price|
|Less than 30 days before departure||100% of package price|
We strongly recommend that you to purchase travel insurance when you book to avoid having to pay the fees associated with cancellation.
If you wish to make any changes to your booking you must notify us, in writing, as soon as possible. We will endeavor to accommodate you, but we cannot guarantee that we will meet your requests. There will be an administration fee of $75 per person, along with any additional costs or charges we incur from our suppliers, for changes made. Any such fees will be added to your total balance owed to Fauna Ventures.
Cancellations or Modifications Made by Fauna Ventures
We may have to make changes to trips and/or package details for a variety of reasons. We are not liable to any traveler for the need to cancel, modify, or postpone any tour as a result of events that are beyond our reasonable control. These matters include such “acts of God” or force majeure events as actual or threats of: epidemics or pandemics, or other public health issues or emergencies (such as but not limited to the current COVID-19 pandemic); severe weather events or natural disasters such as but not limited to hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, tornadoes, fires, floods, volcanic activity, or landslides; war (whether declared or undeclared); terrorist activities; instability in a destination location; incidents of violence, riot, sabotage, civil commotion, or nationalization; strikes or labor disputes or lockouts; government orders, sanctions, actual or potential quarantines, or other restrictions affecting travel in, to, or around a location; disruption to transportation; chemical or radioactive contamination; or any other reason that makes it actually or potentially impossible or illegal for us to conduct the tour as originally planned.
Additionally, our trips may require a minimum number of participants. If a trip fails to reach the required number of participants, the trip may be cancelled. We will notify you of such cancellation no less than 28 days prior to departure.
Most changes are minor. Occasionally, though, we have to make a significant change to a trip’s itinerary. A significant change is defined as a change made before departure which can reasonably be expected to have a major effect on your trip.
If we make a significant change to your trip or cancel your trip, you will have the following options:
- If we made a significant change to your trip, you may accept the change and keep your reservation for the modified trip.
- If we made a significant change or cancelled your trip, we will offer, at a minimum, one alternative trip that is at least equivalent to the trip you originally booked. If the price of the alternative trip we offer you is higher than that of your existing reservation, we will waive the difference in price. If the price of the alternative trip we offer you is lower than that of your existing reservation, we will refund you the difference in price. If you wish to choose a different alternative trip, other than the one we offer, you will be responsible for any differences in pricing.
- If we cancel your trip, you may accept the cancellation. If you accept the cancellation, you will receive a full refund of all monies paid.
Very rarely, we may be forced, as a result of events that are beyond our reasonable control, to change or terminate your trip after departure, but before the scheduled end of the trip. If this situation does occur, we will be unable to make any refunds, offer any alternative trips, or reimburse any costs or expenses you incur as a result. We strongly recommend you to acquire travel insurance to cover these risks.
COVID-19 (last updated November 16, 2020)
In accordance with government guidelines, we will not operate tours in areas where non-essential travel is discouraged due to COVID-19.
We also understand that some travelers may not feel comfortable traveling during this time, even if our tours are operating. If you need to cancel your booking due to COVID-19 health and safety concerns, we are offering the following options:
- Postpone– we will offer alternative dates this year or the following year for the same tour.
- Alternative Tour – we can discuss moving your reservation to a different tour, for this year or next. If it is the same price no charges will be made, if less we refund the difference, if more expensive you pay the difference.
In addition to routine entry requirements, some countries have increased health precautions due to COVID-19. It is your responsibility to ensure you are fully informed of all entry requirements for the country you are traveling to. Be sure to visit your destination’s travel information page on the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s Traveler’s Health website at www.cdc.gov/travel and the State Department’s International Travel website at www.state.gov/travel. In addition, please visit the official tourism site for your destination.
Please advise us of any special requests by completing the special requests section on the booking form. Where possible, we will do our best to meet any such request, but we cannot guarantee all special requests will be accommodated.
We recognize that some travelers may have severe food allergies. We will do our best to ensure that our suppliers are informed of the situation, but we cannot guarantee that all requests will be accommodated. Travelers are responsible for making their own arrangements for any meals not included in their packages, such as snacks, meals during travel, or meals not provided by us.
Special Requirements for International Tours
For international trips, all travelers must acquire trip insurance prior to the departure date. Your trip insurance must fully cover you the cost of cancelling your trip, the cost of medical care and repatriation, and the cost of medical evacuation from remote locations. You should also note that passenger liability insurance covering the vehicles we use may be inadequate. Therefore, it is important that your insurance is sufficient to provide for your dependents in the event of an accident. It is your responsibility to ensure that your insurance coverage is appropriate. Prior to the departure date, you must send us the insurance policy number, the term of coverage, and the scope of coverage.
Each traveler is responsible for obtaining a passport and any other applicable travel documents, health documents, and immunizations prior to departure. If a traveler is unable to obtain these travel documents, the Traveler Cancellation Policy will apply. Visit the U.S. Department of State at www.travel.state.gov for further information. We are not liable if you or a member of your party are refused entry onto any transport or into any country due to failure to provide required documentation.
Please notify us of any known medical conditions or disabilities which could affect your trip with us. You must inform us of any medical conditions or disabilities of any members of your party in writing at the time of booking. If we feel unable to accommodate the needs of the person or persons concerned, we reserve the right to regretfully decline their booking. Prior to booking, if you have any questions or concerns regarding the activities included in a trip’s itinerary, we are available to offer more information and advice concerning the level of difficulty of the activities.
Rules for Travelers
- For your safety, you must listen to and follow any instructions given to you by the trip leader.
- Any payment for damage done to hotel rooms, transportation vehicles, or other accommodations is your responsibility. Such payments must be paid directly to the accommodation owner or manager. You shall indemnify and hold harmless Fauna Ventures and its agents, principals, and employees, who is a party, or is threatened to be made a party, to any proceeding arising from damages caused by you or a member of your party, against expenses, judgments, fines, settlements, attorneys fees, and other amounts actually and reasonably incurred in connection with such proceeding.
- If we or another person in a relevant authority believe you are acting in a way that causes or is likely to cause distress or danger to any other person, flora, and/or fauna, we are entitled dismiss you from the tour. If this happens the person(s) will be required to leave the accommodation and return home at your own expense. We will not pay any costs associated with any of necessary travel arrangements or other expenses, and no refund will be given.
- Illegal activities will not be tolerated and are punishable by immediate dismissal from the trip. If you are involved in any illegal activities, all costs to return home are at your own expense. If the local authorities are involved, you will be subject to the laws of the state and/or country you are visiting.
- Smoking is not allowed on buses, during meals, in hotel rooms, or in any other shared, enclosed space. Additionally, smoking will not be permitted during wildlife-watching excursions.
- Travelers under the age of 18 may not consume alcohol on any trip outside of the United States. Travelers under the age of 21 may not consume alcohol on any trip within the United States.
In the event that you have reason to make a complaint during a tour, you must immediately raise it with your trip leader. If your complaint relates to a service supplier (e.g. accommodation) please inform service supplier directly. Our trip leaders will do their best to help solve any problems, and in almost all cases the situation can be resolved at this stage. If your complaint is not resolved, you must send your complaint to us in writing within 14 days of your return date, and we will do our best to reach an amicable resolution. In any case, we will acknowledge your letter within 14 days after receipt and respond in full within 28 days after receipt.
Release of Liability
You acknowledge and agree to the following in exchange for your reservation on Fauna Ventures tour:
- Without limitation, Fauna Ventures and its agents, principals, and employees are not responsible for any injury, loss, or damage to person or property, death, delay, or inconvenience in connection with the provision of any goods or services occasioned by or resulting from, but not limited to, acts of God; force majeure; acts of government; acts of war or civil unrest; insurrection or revolt; strikes or other labor activities; public health issues or emergencies, epidemics, pandemics, plagues, outbreaks of infectious disease, mass-illness; criminal, terrorist, or threatened terrorist activities of any kind; overbooking or downgrading of accommodations; structural or other defective conditions in houses, apartments, or other lodging facilities (or in any heating, plumbing, electrical, or structural problem therein); mechanical or other failure of airplanes or other means of transportation or for any failure of any transportation mechanism to arrive or depart timely or safely; financial failure or other defaults by suppliers; dangers associated with water-based activities; dangers associated with or bites from animals, insects, or pests; sanitation problems; food poisoning; lack of access to or quality of medical care; difficulty in evacuation in case of a medical or other emergency; or any negligent or willful act or failure to act of any third party or for any other cause beyond the direct control of Fauna Ventures.
- You agree not to sue Fauna Ventures and its agents, principals, and employees for any and all claims of any nature related in any manner to your participation in Fauna Ventures tour, including without limitation, claims for negligence, breach of contract, breach of express or implied warranties, negligence, or wrongful death, or any statutorily based claim. You unconditionally and unequivocally waive any and all claims and demands for all damages, losses, costs and expenses of any nature whatsoever (including attorneys’ fees) on account of or arising out of any and all personal injury, death, bodily injury, mental anguish, emotional distress, or property or other damage that you may suffer from any cause whatsoever related in any way to your participation in any Fauna Ventures tour.
- If booking an international trip, you understand that travel in other nations is not similar to travel within the United States. Travel outside of the United States can involve inconvenience and risk, including, but not limited to, forces of nature, geographic and climatic conditions, different hygienic standards, infrastructure problems (including road maintenance, transportation delays and accommodation conditions), civil unrest, vandalism, crime, political instability, and terrorism. Medical services or facilities may not be readily available or available at all during all or part of a program and, if available, may not be equal to standards in the United States. You understand that some activities may be physically demanding, and you knowingly assume the risks of such activities. You further understand that different parts of the world present unique health, disease, and safety concerns, and agree to review any specific risks related to your destination by visiting the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Traveler’s Health website at www.cdc.gov/travel and the State Department’s International Travel website at www.state.gov/travel. You assume all risk of bodily injury, death, emotional trauma, property damage, inconvenience, and/or loss resulting from negligence or any other acts of any and all persons or entities, however caused, including, but not limited to, those risks mentioned above. You agree to release Fauna Ventures and its agents, principals, and employees from any and all liabilities to the maximum extent permitted by law.
- During the trip, you agree to abide by all local laws. You understand that if you disobey such laws, even unintentionally, and are subject to dismissal from the tour, you will not receive any refunds or be reimbursed for travel expenses incurred as a result. You also understand that, if local authorities become involved, you will be subject to the laws of the state or country you are visiting.
- The COVID-19 pandemic makes travel and all activities on the Tours extraordinarily hazardous, and all persons on a Tour are susceptible to contracting the virus. Symptoms of COVID-19 include: fever, fatigue, dry cough, difficulty breathing, and loss of sense of taste and/or smell. You understand the above symptoms and affirm that you, as well as your household members, do not currently have, nor have experienced the symptoms listed above within the last 14 days. You affirm that you, as well as your other household members, have not been diagnosed with COVID-19 within the past 30 days. You affirm that you, as well as your household members, have not traveled outside of the country, or to any city considered to be a “hot spot” for COVID-19 infections within the past 30 days.
- You acknowledge and fully assume the risk of illness or death related to COVID-19 arising from traveling with Fauna Ventures and participating in Tours and hereby release, waive, discharge, and covenant not to sue Fauna Ventures, their owners, officers, directors, agents, employees and assigns (the “Releases”) from any liability related to COVID-19 which might occur as a result of your being on the Tour and participating in Tour activities.
- Fauna Ventures reserves the right to refuse or cancel your booking at its sole discretion. In such event, the cancellation policies outlined in these Terms and Conditions shall apply.